Monday, April 1, 2013

Munchie Monday: Apple Pancake Wontons

One of my favorite blogs of the moment is Emily Bites. It's no wonder that as I've been getting back to healthy eating that a food blog would make my top ten. After I made her lasagna "cupcakes" I was not only thrilled to add this recipe to my regular dinner rotation, but I was also sold on wonton wrappers. How had I never seen their potential?

The morning after the very successful "lasagna" dinner, I was considering how to use the rest of my wonton wrappers while also craving one of my favorite breakfast foods--German apple pancake. I can't express to you how much I LOVE these things! My mom makes four to five of these every year for Christmas breakfast (mostly because my brother and I can take down one a piece if we're hungry enough). The original recipe calls for lots of eggs, butter, and flour. Weight Watchers friendly it isn't. So, I decided to do a little recipe revamp and guess what? I hit the jackpot! Without further adieu, I bring you my latest original (I'm saying this original, but truthfully, it probably exists somewhere out there already) recipe:

Apple Pancake Wontons


Ingredients:
-24 wonton wrappers
-1 large apple
-3/4 c. egg substitute
-1 tsp. vanilla
-Stevia (or your choice of zero calorie sweetener)
-Cinnamon

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit

2. Spray muffin tin with cooking spray and place two wonton wrappers (situated to make a star) into each opening.


3. Cube apple and toss with cinnamon and Stevia to taste (I use 2 packets of Stevia)

4. Spoon apples into wonton wrappers.

5. Mix vanilla, egg substitute and 1-2 packets of Stevia together. Spoon egg mixture into wonton wrappers over apples. Apples should still peek through the mixture


6. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Allow to cool for 3-5 minutes before carefully running a knife along the edge of each "pancake".

7. Enjoy with a little zero calorie syrup!

These refrigerate well. I haven't tried freezing yet, but if you do, let me know how they are.

WW Points +: 4 "Pancakes" for 5 points

No comments:

Post a Comment