Tuesday, January 4, 2011

A brief word from Lois Lane...

When we ran into my former youth-group pastor and our current lead pastor at church on Sunday, I said, "Greg, have you met my husband, Mike?" His response? "I feel like I have from your status updates!" Then, yesterday, my friend Carrie made a few good-humored pokes at how often I talk about my "amazing" husband.

If there are those of you out there who get exasperated with my frequent praises of my husband, hide me in your profile because it's not going to end I'm sorry. You see, it's just difficult to keep quiet about someone who is so important, loving, and good to me.

Some of you were around for the relationship before Michael. Let's refer to those times as the "dark years" or the DY.  I'm sure that the angst of being in my early twenties didn't help this time either. Not all parts of that three year period were horrible; I spent much of the last two years becoming best friends with Chrisanne, Beth, and Rachel, and the last year reconnecting with (my now sister-in-law) Becky. Good things came out of that time, but that relationship turned me into someone unrecognizeable to my family and the close friends I had before the DY.

I was drinking...a lot. Although I had always struggled with body image, for the first time in my life I was seriously considering plastic surgery.  My life was consumed with making long distance work, while his was spent getting high and frequenting strip clubs. I abused and abandoned relationships that had been so important to me. I stopped going to church. In fact, I very vividly remember telling God, "You haven't given me someone to marry, so I'll do this on my own." I was depressed and spent a large portion of those years on anti-depressants and anti-anxiety meds. I look back and wonder how I became so blind to what was happening, or rather, what I was DOING.

At the end of August 2007,  the three year rollercoaster came to a slamming hault. One week later Michael and I had our first date. Three dates later, I knew I was with my future husband. I quickly returned to the person I had been years before. Life was good.

Fortunately, life has only gotten better with Michael by my side. In so many ways, he saved me. (I really believe that God saved me, but he definitely used Michael!) The past three and a half years have been the happiest of my life, and I am confident that the years to follow will continue in the same manner. I can't say enough wonderful things about the blessing that is my husband. I'm thankful for him, our marriage, and our faith every day. 


Now, if you're ever the one wondering why it is I think my husband is so great, you'll know.  Just like Lois Lane, I'm one lucky girl...I got to marry my Superman. 



1 comment: