Friday, July 8, 2011

Sumptuous Summer Ribs

Remember when Mike asked me to focus on a few things and do them well? I'm still working on it. Part of the plan is to only maintain one blog. I was a little too crazy when trying to update this blog and DD. So, everything is going to be here. Fortunately for you, there's only one blog to follow. :)


I didn't really try/like ribs until I was in my early twenties. Since then, I anxiously await trips south or summer fests for finger-lickin' good ribs because I've been too intimidated to try making them myself. Horror stories of dried out, bland meat kept me from trying. However, last year we bought a 1/4 of a grass fed cow with Mike's parents, and I still had country ribs in the freezer. It was time; I had to face my fear. Armed with the following recipes, I not only conquered the ribs, but I will never buy store bought BBQ sauce again!


I didn't do process pictures this time around, but here's a quick shot of the final product.



Bourbon Whiskey BBQ Sauce I made this sauce the day before and refrigerated it. It was SO EASY to make, and Mike said it is his new favorite BBQ sauce! I'll probably buy Mason jars to store this year round!

Ingredients

  • 1/2 onion, minced
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 3/4 cup bourbon whiskey
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1/2 tablespoon salt
  • 2 cups ketchup
  • 1/4 cup tomato paste
  • 1/3 cup cider vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons liquid smoke flavoring
  • 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/3 teaspoon hot pepper sauce, or to taste

Directions

  1. In a large skillet over medium heat, combine the onion, garlic, and whiskey. Simmer for 10 minutes, or until onion is translucent. Mix in the ground black pepper, salt, ketchup, tomato paste, vinegar, liquid smoke, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, and hot pepper sauce.
  2. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer for 20 minutes. Run sauce through a strainer if you prefer a smooth sauce.




Simple Country Ribs
 I did do a few modifications: Instead of water, I used a can of beer to cover the ribs in the stock pot. Awesome! Be sure to baste often during cooking. You can also bake these ribs in the oven for about 30 minutes at 350. Finally, I boiled down the left over sauce and saved it for later use. These came out tender and falling off the bone. Good luck!


Ingredients

  • 2 1/2 pounds pork spareribs
  • 2 (18 ounce) bottles barbeque sauce
  • 1 onion, quartered
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

Directions

  1. Place spareribs in a large stock pot with barbeque sauce, onion, salt, and pepper. Pour in enough water to cover. Bring to a low boil, and cook approximately 40 minutes.
  2. Preheat grill for high heat.
  3. Lightly oil grate. Remove spareribs from the stock pot, and place on the prepared grill. Use the barbeque sauce in the saucepan to baste ribs while cooking. Grill ribs, basting and turning frequently, for 20 minutes, or until nicely browned.


*I found both of these recipes at allrecipes.com--It's hands down my favorite recipe website! Sign up...it's free!

No comments:

Post a Comment